1 pound Italian sausage.....I like to use half sweet and half hot sausage
1 TBSP chopped garlic
2 quarts chicken broth......I usually use low sodium
1 can beans.....I prefer kidney beans, but have used cannelini with equally good results
1 cup frozen chopped kale (I keep frozen on hand so I always have it, but I do prefer fresh if possible)
2 or 3 chopped red potatoes, or half a package of frozen tortellini
1 rind of Parmesan cheese, or simply put a chunk of parm in if you don't have a rind
Basil, oregano, salt and pepper to taste
1. Take sausage out of casings and brown in a frying pan with a little olive oil.
2. Drain sausage and set aside.
3. In soup pot, sauté onions until transparent, then add garlic to pan and stir to combine
4. Add sausage, chicken broth, beans, kale, potatoes, cheese rind and seasonings to soup pot.
5. If using tortellini, do not add at this point.
6. Simmer for 30 - 45 minutes.
7. If using tortellini, add now and cook according to directions on package.....usually about 8 - 10 min
Serve with extra grated Parmesan, and a drizzle of good olive oil.
Note: last time I cooked onions with a couple of chopped bacon slices, and it was extra yummy!