Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Easter Ham Makes the Best Soup!

The best part of that Easter ham might well be the fabulous soups you can create from the leftovers. This year I made a trio of soups....all different...all delicious. I started out by cooking a split pea soup in my crockpot overnight.

Ingredients:  SPLIT PEA SOUP

1 pound rinsed split peas
1 large onion, chopped
1tsp chopped garlic
2 stalks chopped celery
2 chopped carrots
1 cup mashed potatoes (I usually put 1 chopped potato, but I had mashed them all, so I had to get creative!)
1 box chicken broth 
About 2 cups chopped up ham
3 a 4 cups of water
Salt and pepper to taste

Method:

Put all ingredients in crockpot and cook overnight. Cool and refrigerate or freeze until ready to eat.

The next morning I got up, ready to start the rest of my soup marathon. I had soaked all the beans overnight in cold water.

Ingredients:  NAVY BEAN SOUP

1 pound pre rinsed and soaked great northern beans
1 ham bone with a generous amount of ham still attached
1 large onion
1 tsp chopped garlic
A little chopped carrot and celery
1 tsp dried sage leaves
1 large bay leaf 
1 box chicken broth
1 quart water
1 cup milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1tbsp butter
2tbsp olive oil

Method:

Cook onion in butter and olive oil until transparent
Add garlic and stir around
Add carrots and celery and stir to coat with oil and butter
Add pre soaked beans and ham bone
Add chicken broth and water
Season with sage leaves, bay leaf salt and pepper
Cook for several hours.....until beans are tender
Add milk and heat through 
Serve and enjoy....would be great with crusty bread, but then what wouldn't?

I was then ready to start my Cajun ham and bean soup. 

Ingredients:  CAJUN HAM AND BEAN SOUP

1 pound pre rinsed and soaked 16 bean mix.....Throw away the ham flavored seasoning packet...you won't need it!
1 large onion
2 tsp chopped garlic
Chopped carrot and celery...a couple stalks of each
1 jalapeƱo, chopped very fine
Corn.....I used about half a cup of leftover corn from Easter
2 cups chopped ham
1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes, with juice
1 quart chicken broth....veggie broth would work well too
Chili powder
Cumin
2 bay leaves
Dried red pepper flakes
Cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper
(I didn't measure any of these spices, as I was simply "feeling it....lol")

Method:

Put all ingredients in soup pot and cook for several hours, until largest beans are cooked tender.
Serve and enjoy!  This would be fantastic with corn bread....

I freeze all of these soups, and they are fine for several weeks. Here is a pic of my "Trio of Ham Soups."








No comments:

Post a Comment