Thursday, April 16, 2015

Smorrebrod in the States


I I have never been to Denmark, but if I ever get there the first thing I will taste are the classic Danish sandwiches known as smorrebrod. They are open faced sandwiches eaten with a knife and fork, and can be made using a multitude of creative ingredients. I decided to try my hand at making them after I spotted a very appropriate bread at a local supermarket. The bread was very similar to this: 
This bread is very thin sliced, and very hearty and firm. I decided not to use a recipe, but to play with some ingredients that sounded good to me. Here are those ingredients:

Hearty thin sliced rye or pumpernickel bread
Smoked salmon or lox
Radishes, sliced very thin
Cucumber, sliced thin
Red onion, sliced very thin
Crispy cooked bacon slices
Fresh dill
Sour cream
Fresh lemon juice
Good butter

I started by cutting the long slices of bread in half. I then carefully buttered them right up to the edges. Next I piled on some of the smoked salmon, then topped it with some radish, cucumber, and red onion. I then laid a piece of crispy bacon on top. Next I took a little sour cream and added a good amount of chopped fresh dill and a squeeze of lemon juice. I put a dollop of the sour cream mixture on top of the smorrebrod and topped the whole thing with a sprig of fresh dill to fancy it up. I dug in......I was not disappointed! I look forward to making an assortment of different smorrebrod in the future. What ingredients would you use if you were making smorrebrod? Here's a pic of my final product: 
Ps...I showed a pic to a relative in Denmark and he approved!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this lovely post. You are a great friend (and a fabulous foodie, too).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum. I have had these. I have Scandinavian ancestry. Plus, the Biker Chef said you can find these in restaurants along the North Shore of Lakes Superior, near Duluth, MN. We're in Minnesota. Also, he's made them before in his profession, and could make them for me any time!
    Play off the Page

    ReplyDelete