Saturday, June 21, 2014

Summer Stuffed Eggplant

Now that the summer is in full swing, and gardens are growing, so is the yearning for wonderful veggie dishes. One of my favorites is stuffed eggplant.....it is so versatile that you can use it for vegetarian, paleo, or just about any eating plan that you follow. Tonight I decided to use whatever veggies I had on hand and make a vegetarian version. I'll do the best I can to remember each ingredient and the amounts, but I'm such a fly by the seat of my pants cook that I'm doubtful I could even recreate my own recipe exactly! Here goes......

Ingredients:

1large eggplant
1 scallion, sliced thin
1/2 large shallot, diced
1/4 large sweet onion, chopped small
1 clove garlic, diced
1/4 large jalapeño pepper, diced
1/4 large green pepper, chopped small
1/4 large red pepper, chopped small
1/4 large yellow pepper, chopped small
1 large mushroom, chopped small
Handful baby spinach, sliced small
1 large tomato, chopped small
Fresh thyme, parsley and rosemary to taste, chopped finely
Olive oil
Salt
Pepper
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped small
Fresh Parmesan cheese
Panko bread crumbs to sprinkle on top

Directions:

Cut eggplant in half and score each side without cutting through to outer skin. Scoop insides out and chop medium small.

Sauté onion, garlic, shallot, scallion and jalapeño for a minute or so in olive oil to soften.

Add peppers and mushrooms and sauté for another minute or so.

Add spinach and tomato and cook for about 5 minutes.

Add chopped walnuts, Parmesan cheese, fresh herbs and season with salt and pepper.

Fill eggplant halves with mixture, dividing evenly between the two halves.

Sprinkle top with panko and some more grated Parmesan.

Bake for 30 minutes at 375.  Let cool for about 10 minutes and enjoy! 


Note:  Have fun with this recipe.....add what you like, and eliminate what you don't like...it's all good!

1 comment:

  1. Looks yummy. Definitely Meatless Monday fare. Thanks.

    Val

    ReplyDelete